Sweet pumpkin coffee cake muffins are so tender they just melt in your mouth. If that isn’t enough they are made even better with a crunchy, streusel top.
One of my go-to muffin recipes over the years has been my original pumpkin muffin. They are delicious; loaded with great pumpkin flavor.
We had an abundance of sour cream in the refrigerator and it was time to try some recipes to use it. Instead of butter this recipe uses canola oil and sour cream for fat and moisture. The results are crazy delicious.
Ingredients of note:
Crumb topping: flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon combine with a little butter for crunch and texture. Adds in a little extra cinnamon to bump up the pumpkin spice flavor.
Pumpkin purée: One cup of pumpkin is a half a can of pumpkin purée. If your Thanksgiving dessert recipe used part of a can this is the perfect solution for what-the-heck to do with those leftovers!
Pumpkin spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and ground cloves, all the classic pumpkin spices.
Eggs: Three large eggs contribute to this rich, moist muffin.
Canola oil and sour cream: The fat and richness of the muffin; just so light and fluffy.
Muffins tend to be very easy to assemble and these are no exception. Mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients and combine slowly until just mixed. Not over-mixing the batter is key to keep the muffin soft.
Fill the muffin tins or silicon cups until nearly full for the all-important muffin top!
Sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping. Bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and muffin bounces back with lightly touched. If your oven has a convection option; use it!
These have quickly become one of Husband’s favorite muffins.
Store in an airtight container. Freeze if desired. When the craving arise for pumpkin coffee cake muffins microwave for one minute on high.
By the way……..Happy Black Friday! If you are looking for a way to digitally store, organize and manage your recipes I highly recommend Paprika Recipe Manager. The program is on sale right now through the end of November. See more about Paprika in this post. We love it. 🙂
Pumpkin Coffee Cake muffins
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, salt, and flour.
- Add cooled, melted butter and stir until crumbs form.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Use convection option if available with your oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In another bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add brown sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla, oil and sour cream. Gradually fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture, until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop transfer batter to muffins tins or silicon baking cups. The cups will be least ¾ full of batter.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping equally on the muffins
- Bake muffins for 25 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.