Breakfast is my fav. On weekdays I do cereal, almond milk, half a banana and berries. Same breakfast nearly every single weekday for years and I still look forward to it every morning.
Weekends are different; more time to prep and time to cook. Time to sit and enjoy a nice breakfast with Husband.
Although pancakes occasionally make an appearance I usually do a savory recipe including eggs and often vegetables.
This recipe is the most customizable you will ever find. Include meat, or not. Bacon goes on Husband’s side of the frittata. I don’t do bacon and with the cheese and eggs you don’t need it. If the vegetables listed don’t appeal to you, substitute the veggies you like ( or need to use up). Same goes for the cheese and the herbs; if fresh herbs aren’t available use dried.
I am partial to broccoli as the base vegetable but other then that anything goes. Mine is a little different every time I am make it and as far as I am concerned that is part of its charm.
The first few times I made this recipe I baked the frittata once everything was in an oven safe skillet. Which is typically how the dish is prepared. But for whatever reason I decided to finish on the stovetop and I haven’t gone back. I’m guessing it was hot and humid, sort of like right now, and I couldn’t bring myself to start an oven. So the stovetop frittata was born.
I like to serve with fruit to round out the meal; pear and blackberries in this case. Frittata is a great way to start the weekend with a balanced breakfast complete with vegetables and protein!
We eat half the frittata Saturday and enjoy the leftovers on Sunday. Another advantage; a minute in the microwave and Sunday breakfast is done.
- 4-5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half or a combination
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp fresh herbs; parsley, rosemary…
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2-4 slices bacon optional
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli flowerets chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese mozzarella, cheddar, Swiss. a Mexican blend, a mixture of several… nearly any variety will work
- Beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and fresh herbs until well blended; set aside. Prep broccoli and the rest of the vegetables. You can absolutely substitute the peppers, onion and mushrooms for whatever veggies you prefer. You will want 1 1/2 to 2 cups of vegetables along with the broccoli.
- If using bacon cook in a large no stick skillet until crisp. Place cooked bacon on plate with paper towel to cool and drain. When cool chop bacon into bite sized pieces.
- Pour most of the bacon grease out of the skillet and wipe clean.
- Heat olive oil in same skillet over medium heat. Cook broccoli, red pepper, onion and mushrooms in oil about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add cooked bacon back to mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Beat egg mixture again and pour evenly over vegetable and cheese; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook on low heat about 15 minutes or until eggs are set in center and have puffed up slightly. Cut into wedges.
Got veggies, got eggs, got cheese? You got breakfast.