Healthy veggies combined with lean sausage, eggs and cheese; this turkey spinach breakfast casserole is the total package. Healthy and hardy; this delicious casserole would be special enough for Christmas morning but easy enough for any weekend breakfast!
I love starting the day with vegetables. Broccoli frittata is on the very regular rotation for Saturday mornings at our house. This recipe essentially subs out the broccoli for spinach and potatoes.
Spinach is one of my favorite foods. I eat it as a base of my lunch salad pretty much every day. Spinach is wonderful raw and I think equally delicious cooked as part of a recipe. Plus you know you started the day with a healthy leafy green. Bonus!
Onions, red peppers and spinach: Colorful, flavorful and healthy, the veggies are sautéed to make them extra tasty. I have added mushrooms or zucchini if I happen to have an abundance.
Ground turkey or turkey sausage: I really like this breakfast sausage. Plain ground turkey or a hot ground turkey would also be great.
Potato: A medium potato is grated raw and baked until tender within the casserole and adds great flavor and texture. I have only used Russet potatoes for this recipe.
Eggs: What is a breakfast casserole without eggs!
Cheese: This casserole has a relatively small amount of cheese; just a half cup of mozzarella and 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan is enough to make the casserole creamy and cheesy. I prefer fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
Turkey spinach breakfast casserole has a few steps; but the whole process only takes about 20 minutes.
You will start with the veggies. The onions and red peppers are sautéed in olive oil. In the same pan you will add garlic and then the spinach. If you aren’t familiar with cooking with spinach you will be amazed how much it wilts when cooked.
Grate the peeled potato and mix in a bowl along with the beaten eggs, milk and half & half. The cheese is then added and all ingredients are folded together until well mixed.
Add salt and pepper to taste. I like lots of fresh ground black pepper. Transfer to a casserole dish and bake for about 25 minutes. The casserole is done when it is browning and springs back when touched.
Allow casserole to rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with fruit for a balanced, complete and absolutely delicious breakfast.
Leftovers reheat very well; simply microwave on high for about one minute.
Turkey Spinach Breakfast Casserole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ pound lean ground turkey or turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach-roughly chopped
- 1 large clove garlic-minced
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup half & half
- 1 medium Russet potato-peeled and grated
- ½ cup shredded low moisture Mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese-grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Prep a 8×8 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat ½ Tbsp olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers and turkey and sauté for 7-10 minutes until turkey is cooked through. Add chili powder. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining ½ Tbsp olive oil to the pan. With heat on low add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic mixture to the turkey mixture.
- Peel and grate the potato and add to the bowl with the turkey and spinach.
- In another mixing bowl thoroughly whisk the eggs, milk and half & half. Add the turkey, spinach and potato mixture and all the cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the casserole springs back when touched. Allow casserole to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.