Bright, pretty, and perfectly sweet, date night lemon cake is the small-batch dessert we need in our lives.
I absolutely love small-batch sweet treats. Make Husband happy with a delicious dessert without the 9×13 cake pan of leftovers staring us in the face for days. This recipe for six donuts is another great little treat without the leftovers.
Plus, how cute are two little ramekins of bright yellow lemon cake! Especially topped with a dollop of whip topping and a few sweet blueberries. Perfection!
I bought these particular ramekins at Target a few years ago. They are so pretty with the lemon cake.
Flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt: Only six tablespoons of flour for these two little cakes.
Egg yolk: Just the yolk for extra richness.
Sour cream or Greek yogurt: I have made with both and either one works very well. If you happen to have lemon Greek yogurt ( I like Chobani ) all the better!
Lemon juice and zest: Both the fresh lemon juice and zest for all that wonderful lemon flavor.
Almond Extract: Optional. I love the aroma and flavor to beautifully compliment the lemon.
Powdered sugar & lemon juice: A sweet and tangy glaze that pumps up the lemon flavor.
Stir together the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
In a medium bowl beat the egg yolk then add sour cream or yogurt, oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and almond extract.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and slowly stir to combine. Do not over-mix. This helps ensure a light, fluffy cake.
Divide the batter between two sprayed or greased ramekins.
Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Allow cake to cool.
Now make the glaze by simply adding lemon juice to powdered sugar. The glaze should be thin to drizzle over the cakes.
Serve warm or room temperature with whip topping and berries if desired!
For Valentine’s Day, date night or any time a special treat is needed; make date night lemon cake for you and someone you love.
Modified from Lemon Cake for two.
Date Night Lemon Cake
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or Greek yogurt lemon yogurt if possible
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium lemon zest and juice
- ¼ tsp almond extract optional
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice as needed
- Whip topping and berries to serve if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉
- In a bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly whisk the egg yolk add sour cream (or Greek yogurt), oil, lemon zest, juice and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet ingredients and stir gently to combine.
- Thoroughly spray or grease two Ramekins and place on a small baking sheet. Divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cakes are out, make the icing. Add powdered sugar and add lemon juice. The icing should be thin enough to drizzle.
- Slowly pour or drizzle the glaze over both cakes. Serve warm with whip topping and fruit if desired