Parmesan roasted Brussels sprouts, another quick, easy healthy side dish.
Brussels sprouts are ending up in my grocery cart and on my menus more and more. They are a great change of pace from the broccoli and green beans that we typically eat for green veggies.
Neither of us grew up eating many Brussels sprouts and I don’t recall being too fond of them when I did try them. But there might be a reason for that. The current varieties aren’t the bitter sprouts that, so many people hated in the past.
We take Brussels sprouts and roast them, which is the best way to prepare veggies. The roasting process brings out their natural sweetness. They get tender on the inside and a little crispy on the outside. Cheese makes everything better, and that sprinkle of parmesan cheese makes the sprouts even more delicious.
Brussels Sprouts: Look for fresh sprouts that are firm to the touch and bright green. Brussels sprouts that are similar in size are nice, so they roast evenly.
Olive Oil: My favorite oil to roast veggies, I also use it to roast broccoli and green beans.
Parmesan Cheese: I use freshly grated parm. The pre-shredded stuff would work too.
Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is a nice sub for fresh garlic in a recipe like roasted vegetables. Fresh garlic can burn easily and get very bitter.
Salt & Black Pepper: Added to taste to bring out the flavor of the sprouts.
Roasted veggies are so easy to prepare. Start by preheating your oven. To make cleanup easy, I usually line my sheet pan with parchment. You can also use a little non-stick spray.
Prep the sprouts as directed and toss them in a bowl. Add your olive oil, parm, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Stir to thoroughly combine. I used to just toss on the sheet pan, but combining in a bowl does help the Brussels get more evenly coated with oil, cheese, and spices.
Spread evenly on the sheet and roast for about 20 minutes.
Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking dish or sheet pan or line with parchment paper. Peel the outer, discolored leaves off the Brussels sprouts, trim the ends, and cut them in half.
- Place the sprouts in a bowl, drizzle olive oil on top, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts to the prepared baking sheet, and roast in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes, depending on their size.
- Serve immediately.