Coated with flaky bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and rosemary, these chicken cutlets are then pan-fried until brown and crispy.
This tasty, tender chicken comes together in twenty minutes. Add a side dish or two, and you have a super quick dinner for any night of the week.
Chicken breast: Use one chicken breast to create two cutlets. Butterfly cut the breast into two equal pieces and pound until thin. The thinner the chicken the faster it cooks. You could also buy pre-made chicken cutlets.
Panko bread crumbs: Panko bread crumbs are lighter and flakier than traditional bread crumbs and produce a crispier coating.
Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese gives the coating a cheesy, salty, delicious flavor.
Rosemary: Fresh rosemary is especially nice if available. Excellent with chicken.
Egg: Coats the chicken and allows crumb mixture to stick.
Olive oil: To fry the chicken. About a tablespoon or enough to coat the bottom of the frying pan.
Start by prepping your chicken coating station. Combine Panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and rosemary on the plate.
Crack the egg onto a separate plate and whisk thoroughly with a fork.
Take your two prepped chicken cutlets and sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste. Parmesan cheese is quite salty, so you may not need as much salt.
Heat olive oil in a shallow frying pan over medium heat.
Dip each chicken piece in egg then into the bread crumb and parmesan mixture. Add each chicken cutlet to the frying pan.
Allow to fry for 3-5 minutes without disturbing. Once golden brown flip the cutlet to the opposite side for an additional 3-5 minutes. Timing will depend on the thickness of your cutlets. Both sides should be golden brown the chicken should feel firm when you touch it.
Once the pan-fried chicken cutlets are done they should be served immediately. I like to serve with one or two vegetable sides. This particular evening we had roasted baby red potatoes and green beans. These skillet green beans would also be a great choice.
You could also use them to make a very tasty chicken sandwich.
Pan Fried Chicken Cutlets
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast sliced and pounded thin
- fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Combine panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and rosemary and place on a plate.
- Beat egg with a fork and pour onto a separate plate.
- Preheat large skillet and add olive oil.
- Dip each chicken piece into egg mixture, then coat both sides with crumb mixture.
- Lay coated chicken pieces in a hot skillet. Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side until it is also golden brown.
- Transfer to plate and serve immediately.