One-skillet creamy chicken mushroom rice is quick, easy, and delicious!
Spring is here, which means it’s time to set aside the oven-heavy meals of winter. Of course, spring in Minnesota can be anywhere from cold and rain/sleet/snow to sunny with temperatures in the 80s. As I write this post the snowflakes are falling. Never mind it was over 80 degrees two days ago!
But, Minnesota weather aside, we are definitely heading into the time of year when I don’t want to turn on the oven. My go-to sheet pans meals get traded out for dinners I can pull together in one skillet. They tend to be easy and hands-off with minimal cleanup, which is what I love about sheet pan dinners.
Chicken Breast: You could also use chicken thighs.
Olive Oil: Used to sauté the chicken.
Italian Seasoning: A blend of spices typically containing basil and oregano, among other spices. These blends are a quick, easy way to add layers of flavor to your cooking.
Salt & Black Pepper: Add to taste. Both chicken and mushrooms have very mild flavors, so you definitely need some salt and pepper.
White Rice: The rice cooks along with the stock and spices and gets nice and flavorful.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: The rice is infused with flavor while cooking in the stock. I always use low sodium to help control the salt content.
Mushrooms: I use cremini, or as I call them, baby bella mushrooms. They are sturdier than some varieties and hold their shape a bit better than some varieties.
Half & Half: Makes the dish rich, creamy, and delicious.
Parmesan Cheese: A little parmesan cheese is a finishing touch for so many recipes for good reason. So much flavor.
Fresh Parsley: This meal has lots of things going for it, but a pop of color isn’t one of them! A little fresh parsley also adds a nice fresh flavor.
Grab a large skillet. I like to use nonstick, so I don’t have to worry about the rice sticking to the pan as it cooks.
Heat up the olive oil and add the cubed chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Sauté the chicken for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
Stir in the rice, stock, and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cover. I like to stir the mixture a few times while it cooks. Allow the mixture to simmer until the rice is tender. Taste test after about 20 minutes.
Add in the half & half, parm and more salt and pepper if needed. Stir and heat the mixture through for a few minutes then serve.
I like to serve with a simple green veggie like asparagus or broccoli to round out the meal.
One Skillet Creamy Chicken Mushroom Rice
- 1 medium-sized chicken breast cubed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup white rice uncooked
- 1¼ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup half & half
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and turn to medium heat. Add the chicken to the skillet along with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper and cook until the chicken is no longer pink and cooked throughout.
- Add the uncooked rice, chicken stock and mushrooms to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is cooked and tender.
- Stir in half & half and grated Parmesan along with salt and pepper to taste if needed. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.