You can never have too many one-pan dinners, especially when they are as tasty as cajun chicken with rice and black beans.
This meal came to mind when I was watching Best Home Cook on Hulu. If you are a fan of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix, check this one out! I was reminded of this recipe when one of the judges liked the flavors of a dish but found the presentation messy.
A plateful of spicy chicken, rice, and beans isn’t fancy, just filling and super satisfying.
Olive Oil: Used to sauté the chicken.
Chicken Breast: I use one chicken breast sliced in half for the two of us.
Cajun Seasonings: A spicy blend of seasonings. We keep this brand on hand.
Red Pepper & Onion: Add color and flavor to the dish. You can use any color bell pepper. I typically use red onions but white or yellow onions would also work well.
Jalapeño Pepper: Adds more spicy flavor to the dish.
White Rice: The rice cooks in the tomato and stock mixture along with spices and takes on all the delicious flavors.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: The rice cooks in the chicken stock and becomes very flavorful. I like low sodium as Cajun seasoning tends to be salty.
Black Beans: Black beans are so perfect with spicy flavors.
Diced Tomatoes: Either canned tomatoes or one large chopped tomato works. The tomato cooks down and combined with the chicken stock to create the base to cook the rice.
Chili Powder, Paprika, Cumin: Add color and flavor.
Cilantro: Adds bright fresh flavor. Cilantro goes well with spicy flavors.
Avocado: Sliced avocado is the perfect contrast to the spicy Cajun flavors.
Select a large, deep skillet and heat up the olive oil. Slice a chicken breast into two fairly equal-sized pieces. Rub the chicken all over with cajun seasoning and add to the skillet. Sauté the chicken until it is cooked through, about 7-10 minutes depending upon the thickness of the chicken. Place the chicken on a plate covered with foil to keep warm.
Next, sauté your peppers and onions until starting to soften. Then add the rice, chicken stock, black beans, tomatoes, and spices. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer until the rice is tender. Stir occasionally so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. You may need to add a bit more stock.
Tuck the chicken back into the rice and cover. Cook a few more minutes until everything is heated through.
Plate and garnish with cilantro and sliced avocado.
One-pan Cajun chicken with black beans & rice is one delicious dinner.
If you enjoy spicy, robust flavorful dishes with a cajun flair, try this creamy Cajun chicken.
One Pan Cajun Chicken with Rice & Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- ½ cup white rice
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth or stock
- ½ can black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ can diced tomatoes with juice or a large fresh tomato
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- fresh cilantro chopped
- sliced avocado for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil. Rub the chicken in the cajun seasoning. Cook over medium high heat until cooked throughout. Remove and set aside on a plate covered in foil.
- Add the peppers and onions and more olive oil if necessary; sauté until tender.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Adding more chicken broth if the liquid absorbs before the rice is tender.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cover until the chicken is heated though. Garnish with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado if desired.