Cheddar cheese and spicy jalapeño peppers make this cornbread an extra special side dish.
Chili and a side of cornbread are the definitions of a cozy fall meal. But, really, I would serve this cornbread pretty much anytime with any meal.
I use a small 8-inch skillet for this recipe. It is a great tool if you like small batch recipes. This cookie is a fun little dessert for two people.
Flour: Combines with the cornmeal to provide the base and structure of the cornbread.
Yellow Cornmeal: A coarse flour made from corn. I love the color and sweet flavor.
Sugar: A touch of sweetness is excellent in cornbread.
Baking Powder: Helps the cornbread rise and get fluffy and wonderful.
Salt: Accentuates all the other flavors.
Egg: Adds flavor, richness, and structure.
Milk: I use either skim or almond milk. Whatever you have.
Canola Oil: Canola oil does double duty as it coats the bottom of the skillet and adds to the moisture of the cornbread.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese: I like to use either sharp or medium cheddar.
Chopped Pickled Jalapeños: I always have a jar of these in the refrigerator. These are excellent; a nice mix of spicy and sweet. These are also good with a definite amp up in spice. Pickled jalapeños are also terrific in Caribbean rice.
Start by preheating your oven.
Add about a tablespoon of canola oil to the bottom of a small cast-iron skillet and swirl it around the base of the skillet. Add enough oil to coat the entire bottom of the skillet. Once the skillet is ready, place it in the oven.
Next, turn your attention to the cornbread. Combine the dry ingredients, then add the beaten egg, milk, and canola oil. Fold in the chopped jalapeños and shredded cheese.
Once the oven is fully heated, pull the skillet from the oven. Pour the cornbread batter evenly into the bottom of the skillet. The oil will be heated and sizzle a bit as you add the batter. This will result in a lovely crust on the base of your cornbread.
Place the skillet back in the oven, keeping the mind the handle is hot. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
Jalapeno cheddar cornbread with a bowl of turkey chili. It really doesn’t get much better than that.
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ c. milk
- ⅛ cup canola oil plus more for the base of the skillet
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeños
- Preheat oven to 425 ℉. Pour enough canola oil to cover the bottom of small iron skillet. Place in oven while you mix together the cornbread.
- Stir together the dry ingredients in bowl. Add egg, milk and canola oil. Stir until blended. Fold in cheddar cheese and chopped jalapeños.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour the cornbread batter evenly into the skillet. Return the skillet to the oven. Remember – it’s hot!
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Slice and enjoy.