Creamy, a little spicy, and super satisfying, this Cajun chicken with cilantro cream sauce is one of my new favorite dinners.
Any recipe with cream sauce in the title gets my attention. What is more comforting than creamy sauce over rice or pasta? In addition to the cream sauce, this recipe has a spicy flavor that we make part of so many meals. Finally, chopped cilantro adds color and freshness.
Chicken Breast: I use one large chicken breast sliced in half to make two long, thin pieces of chicken.
Cajun Seasonings: Use a pre-packaged variety or a homemade version. We like this brand.
Salt & Pepper: Add to taste to flavor the chicken. Keep in mind, pre-packaged Cajun seasoning will typically contain sodium.
Olive Oil: Used to sauté the chicken and vegetables.
Red Bell Pepper: Ripe bell peppers are in so many of my recipes. I love the color and flavor they add.
Green Onion: Add great flavor. If you don’t have green onions, you could also use thinly sliced red or yellow onion.
Flour: We like a thick sauce. A little flour will thicken the sauce nicely.
Chicken Stock: The base of the sauce. I always use low sodium.
Half & Half: Adds richness to the sauce and put the cream in creamy!
Cilantro: Goes so well with the Cajun flavors and adds beautiful color.
Tomato: I used chopped fresh tomatoes from my garden, cherry or grape tomatoes would work very well.
Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. The Cajun seasoning gives the chicken nice color.
Heat up the olive oil in a skillet and add your chicken breasts. Allow the chicken to sauté in the pan, turning, until cooked through.
Remove the chicken and add the peppers and onion. Sauté until the veggies are starting to get soft.
Add the flour and stir until the flour is incorporated into the oil in the pan. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally. The mixture should be pretty smooth with no lumps of flour. The mixture will start to thicken thanks to the flour.
Add the half & half and stir until combined and heated through.
Add the tomatoes, cilantro, chicken breasts, and the remaining Cajun seasoning. Stir and simmer until heated through.
Cajun chicken with cilantro cream sauce is delicious over Mexican rice. Reminder to self, write an updated post for Mexican rice!
Simple white rice would also work, as this dish has so much flavor. I am sure pasta would excellent as well. I also like an easy veggies side like roasted broccoli.
IF you like these flavors and that all-important creamy sauce, try this enchilada recipe!
Cajun Chicken With Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ red bell pepper chopped
- 1-2 green onions sliced
- 2 tsp flour
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup half & half
- 2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 cup tomato chopped
- Sprinkle the chicken halves with salt and pepper and about half of the Cajun seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Cook, turning, until chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate; set aside.
- To the same skillet, add green onions and red bell pepper. Stir and sauté until vegetables are somewhat tender.
- Stir in flour until combined.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a heavy simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the half & half and continue to simmer.
- Stir in tomatoes, cilantro, and the chicken along with remaining Cajun seasoning. Cook until heat through. Serve immediately.