A soft, tender, indulgent muffin with a sweet crumble topping, this sour cream, and raisin muffin is one tasty treat!
Husband is a huge fan of sour cream and raisin bars. Our local food coop has a sweet section in the deli and these bars are his very first choice for a sweet treat. Until recently I haven’t eaten raisins, but I still used to nibble at the bar and crumb topping.
The combination of sour cream and raisin originated in the midwest as a pie.
Recently we had an overabundance of sour cream and I thought those flavors might make a pretty tasty muffin. Most cakes, bread, and bar flavors can be turned into a muffin. I have proof of that in the ever-expanding muffin section of my recipe manager.
I knew I definitely needed a crunchy, sweet crumb topping to make them extra delicious. Quick cooking oats add a nice crunch.
Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt: Both baking powder and soda due to the density of the muffin.
Butter: A smaller amount of butter than some muffins as sour cream adds plenty of richness.
Sugar: Part of any sweet treat.
Egg: Adds structure and flavor.
Sour cream: A full cup of sour cream creates a delicious, rich muffin.
Raisins: Dispersed throughout the muffins adding sweet flavor.
Quick Oats: Combines with brown sugar, flour and butter to create the crumbly topping. The oats add crunch and makes the topping pretty.
You will start by preheating your oven; use convection if it is available on your oven. I do most of my baking using convection for extra fluffy muffin tops.
From here you combine the dry ingredients and then add to the wet ingredients. Stir gently and only until combined for soft, tender muffins.
Using a cookie scoop fill the muffin cups until nearly full, leaving room for a layer of topping.
For the topping, mix flour, brown sugar, and quick oats together. Mix the butter into the flour mixture until combined. Disperse the crumb mixture evenly over the muffins.
Bake until starting to get slightly brown around the edges and a toothpick in the center comes back clean.
A delicious sour cream and raisin muffin is great either warm out of the oven or room temperature. They also freeze well. Microwave one minute to thaw.
Sour Cream Raisin Muffins
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter softened
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup raisins
- 4 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp quick oats
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Use convection option if available on your oven.
- Line muffin tin with paper liners or set 14 silicon cups on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add the raisins and stir gently until combined.
- Fill muffin tins or silicone cups with batter until nearly full. Be sure to leave room for the crumb topping.
- Combine flour, brown sugar and oats. Mix the butter in using your hands or a fork until a crumb mixture forms.
- Sprinkle crumbs evenly over the muffins.
- Bake about 15-17 minutes until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.