Savory and hardy beer cheese bread is the easiest loaf of bread ever. No yeast means no kneading and no rising time; just mix and bake! In a little over an hour you can have a fresh, warm, delicious loaf of bread.
While this bread goes with practically any main entrée, I really love it served with a bowl of soup. Beer cheese bread is sturdy enough to hold up to a dunk in soup without falling apart. Imagine a great bowl of chili or noodle soup with a slice or two of moist, cheesy bread. What better way to warm up on a cold, winter night!
Red onions & garlic: Sautéed in olive oil for great savory flavor. You could certainly use white or yellow onions, but I like the added color of red onions in the bread.
Flour, sugar and baking powder: A little sugar for sweetness and baking powder to make the bread rise without yeast.
Cheddar cheese: You could use Monterey Jack or Swiss. The cheddar gives great flavor and color to the bread.
Beer: One 12 ounce can or bottle of standard lager beer. We always have Coors light on hand.
Butter: Melted and poured over the bread, butter gives the crust an irresistible taste and provides beautiful color to the finished product.
This bread really couldn’t be easier. Start by mincing your onion and sautéing in olive oil until tender. Then add garlic and pepper.
Mix the dry ingredients then create a well in the center. Add the onion mixture, the cheese and pour in your beer. Combine until all ingredients are moist; taking care not to over mix.
Spoon mixture into a loaf pan and pour one tablespoon of melted butter evenly over the batter. Bake for 35 minutes; remove from oven and then pour remaining tablespoon of butter over the bread. Return to oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes.
The finished product while be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean.
Allow to cool for five minutes in the loaf pan then carefully transfer to a cooling rack.
Serve warm or room temperature. I am very partial to fresh out of the oven and still warm!
Whether with a bowl of soup or a delicious side to any meal; make this delicious bread!
Beer Cheese bread
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle or can lager-style beer
- 2 Tbsp melted butter-divided
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir until well mixed. Using the back of the spoon make a well in center of mixture. Add onion mixture, cheese, and beer to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 1 Tbsp butter over batter. Bake at 375℉ for 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 Tbsp butter over batter. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until deep golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Serve warm or room temperature.