Jam muffins are soft and tender with swirls of sweet jam to make them extra delicious!
I always have a couple of open jars of jam or jelly in the refrigerator. Sometimes nothing sounds better than toast with peanut butter and sweet jam. This recipe is a great way to make use of those opened jars of jam into a treat you can enjoy for a quick dessert or snack.
As tasty as the jam is in these muffins, it is merely the crowning glory of what would be a delicious treat without the swirls of sweet goodness. The batter is light, tender, and perfectly sweet.
Flour & Baking Powder: The structure and leavening agent for the muffins.
Salt: Enhances the flavor and balances the sweet flavors.
Butter: So many delicious treats start with a stick of butter. Adds richness to the muffins.
Brown Sugar & Sugar: Both add sweetness. The brown sugar adds a hit of molasses and white sugar keeps the muffins light and tender.
Egg: Gives the muffins adds richness and helps with the structure.
Half & Half & Milk: A mixture of milk and half & half keeps the muffins light, fluffy, and flavorful.
Vanilla Extract: Adds a nice element to any baked good.
Jam: Any fruit jam works well. I also made them with grape jelly!
Preheat your oven.
Melt your butter and let it cool. You don’t want to end up with an accidental scrambled egg, so the butter can be warm but not hot. While the butter cools, pull out the rest of your ingredients. I also pull another bowl and combine the dry ingredients.
Stir the sugars, the egg, milk, half & half, and vanilla into the warm butter. Once the wet ingredients are well combined, fold the dry ingredients in until just mixed.
Divide half your muffin batter into muffin cups. Add a heaping teaspoon of jam to each cup and swirl the jam with a toothpick to distribute the jam into the batter.
Divide the remaining batter into each muffin cup over the jam and swirl again. The muffins wouldn’t look uniform. Jam may be visible on the tops of some muffins but not others. It’s part of their charm. 🙂
Bake until muffins are starting to brown on top and spring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool for 10 – 15 minutes and enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¼ cup half & half
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup jam any flavor
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Chop the butter into pieces and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the butter on high power until just melted and allow to cool slightly.
- While the butter is cooling, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Stir together the melted butter with both sugars. Beat in the egg. Add half & half, milk, and vanilla and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened
- Put half the batter into 12 muffin cups using a spoon or a cookie scoop. Add a generous 1 tsp of jam in center of each muffin and swirl with a toothpick. Fill the muffin cups with the remaining batter and swill again with a toothpick. Muffin cups will be nearly full.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned and spring back when lightly touched.