One morning, I made us English muffin breakfast sandwiches on a whim. I had leftover English muffins sitting in the freezer I wanted to use. Putting them together with leftover Swiss cheese along with egg, veggies, and turkey sausage created an incredible breakfast sandwich! I loved them so much that when I made them again I made sure to use all the exact same ingredients.
I should have suspected turkey sausage and Swiss cheese would be wonderful. My favorite burger version is a turkey burger with sautéed mushrooms and Swiss cheese.
For the eggs, I decided to keep easy with scrambled eggs infused with colorful, tasty veggies.
English Muffins: A warm, toasted English muffin makes a great breakfast sandwich.
Butter or Olive Oil: Either works just fine or do a combo of both.
Veggies: I used red onion, red bell pepper, and zucchini. I am always looking to infuse veggies into our meals, and they also add a pleasing pop of flavor and color.
Eggs: I scrambled two eggs for our sandwiches. You could certainly make the eggs any way you like.
Half & Half: I added a bit of half & half to the eggs for a little added richness.
Swiss Cheese: Swiss and turkey are incredible together. But you can rarely go wrong with cheese, use what you like.
Turkey Sausage: These sandwich-sized turkey patties were perfect on our breakfast sandwiches. Of course, you could use any breakfast meat. They would also be delicious meatless.
The only thing difficult about breakfast sandwiches is timing. You want all the ingredients ready and warm at the same time.
Start with chopping your veggies and add to a small sauté pan. While the vegetables are cooking, you can collect the rest of your ingredients. Split the English muffins and slice the cheese. I also start thawing my frozen turkey sausage patties.
When the veggies are nearly softened to your liking, start toasting your English muffins. Whisk your eggs with a little half & half and pour the mixture into the sauté pan with the veggies.
The next part is the second hardest part of the recipe. Once the eggs are somewhat set you want to use a spatula to flip one half over the over half to resemble a small omelet. Cook until eggs are set, flipping one more time if needed. If it falls apart a little, no worries. It just gets piled on the sandwich and will taste amazing.
Put your toasted English muffins on a plate and put the cheese and sausage on the bottom part of each muffin. Add the egg mixture.
Devour your English muffin breakfast sandwiches immediately and enjoy every bite!
For another delicious, easy, handheld breakfast, try these tortilla wraps!
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 English muffins split and toasted
- olive oil or butter
- ¼ cup onions, bell peppers, zucchini finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp half & half
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 turkey sausage patties
- Finely chop your vegetables. Add olive oil or butter to a small skillet and saute your veggies until softened.
- Meanwhile, split your English muffins, start any needed prep for your meat, and slice the cheese.
- Start toasting your English muffins. Add your eggs and half & half to a small bowl and measuring cup and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the beaten eggs to the skillet along with the veggies. Allow the mixture to set undisturbed until somewhat firm on the bottom. Flip half the mixture over so it resembles an omelet. If it doesn't flip perfectly, no worries.
- Flip the egg mixture over one more time. Meanwhile, pull the English muffins, cheese, and meat together. Top the bottom of each muffin with cheese, meat, and half the egg mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!