Breakfast tortilla wraps are as easy and fun as they are scrumptious. Tortillas filled with your favorite Mexican flavors, then pan-fried until perfectly crispy.
These wraps have a lot of the same ingredients as Huevos Rancheros, one of our favorite weekend breakfasts. We love the crispy tortillas, veggies, eggs, and spicy flavors. These wraps also have a chipotle lime sauce to amp up the flavors even more.
Since these are individually made, they can be customized to your tastes. Hubby wants meat in his wrap and I like extra veggies. Easy enough when we both get our own little breakfast wrap.
These are a take on the Crunchwrap craze. Husband reminded me that Crunchwraps have a crispy tostada layer inside the tortilla shell, hence the crunch. Truth be told, I have never had a Crunchwrap! But I sure like these tortilla wraps.
Red Bell Pepper & Red Onion: Bell peppers and onion are the classic veggies. Jalapeño peppers are a great addition as well. I added some kale to mine.
Butter: Used for the scrambled eggs. Just a little butter gives the eggs great added flavor.
Eggs: It’s a savory breakfast, we have to have eggs.
Half & Half: Makes the eggs extra creamy.
Cilantro: We love cilantro with all our Mexican-inspired meals.
Flour Tortillas: You will want the large burrito-sized tortillas.
Turkey Sausage: I put pre-cooked turkey sausage in Hubby’s breakfast wrap. Chorizo would be a great choice too.
Mexican Cheese: I used pre-shredded Mexican cheese.
Canola or Avocado Oil: Used to pan fry the tortilla shells. I have used both and they are equally good.
Sour cream: The creamy part of the addictive sauce.
Lime Juice: Adds great tang to the sauce.
Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce: The spice of the sauce. Chipotle peppers add great, smoky heat.
Paprika: A bit of color.
Salt & Black Pepper: Added to taste.
Start by assembling the parts of the wrap.
Add all the ingredients of the sauce to a small bowl and set aside.
Grab a skillet and sauté the onions and peppers using canola or avocado oil.
While the onions and peppers are cooking, scramble your eggs. Melt the butter in another skillet and add the eggs and half & half. Over low heat, allow the eggs to slow cook. Run your spatula along the bottom as soft curds form. I like to slightly undercook the eggs as they will get a bit more cooking time as the wrap fries. Fold the cilantro into the eggs.
Now the fun part, we get to assemble the wraps!
Start by thinly spreading the sauce along the bottom of the wrap. Layer on the eggs, veggies, meat, and cheese.
Now the wrap needs to be folded. This video shows the procedure. Basically, you fold in small sections until the wrap resembles a disk. Once wrapped, quickly turn over, so the folded side is on the bottom.
Now cook the wraps. I used the same skillet previously used to saute the onions and peppers. Added flavor! Add a bit more oil and add your first wrap with the folded side down. Cook over medium heat until golden. Flip and cook on the other side.
Depending on how loaded your tortilla is, and mine are really loaded, there may be visible ingredients after you fold your wrap. You can cut a circle shape in an extra tortilla shell and use it to cover the center ingredients prior to folding. I elected not to and just put the wrap in the skillet with cheese exposed. Happily, the cheese cooked into a nice crispy layer that was really quite tasty.
I always serve some fresh fruit with our savory breakfast treats. Salsa or guacamole would be a delicious accompaniment to these breakfast tortilla wraps. Enjoy!
Breakfast Tortilla Wrap
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 2 tsp. butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp half & half
- 1 Tbsp cilantro finely diced
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 2 patties turkey sausage thawed and chopped
- ½ cup Mexican cheese shredded.
- canola or avocado oil
Chipotle Sour Cream Sauce
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo sauce minced
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Start by making the sauce. In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, lime juice, minced chipotle pepper and paprika, then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Sauté the peppers and onions until softened, set aside.
- Make the scrambled eggs. Add eggs and half & half to a medium bowl and whisk until frothy. In a medium nonstick pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Pour egg mixture into the pan. Let set slightly, then reduce heat to low. Stir the eggs with a spatula or wooden spoon. Once cooked to your liking, fold in diced cilantro and remove from heat.
- Now assemble the wrap. Spread the chipotle sour cream sauce onto the center of each flour tortilla, then top each with scrambled eggs, veggies, turkey sausage and cheese. Fold tortillas around the center. After wrapping, quickly invert the wrap, so the pleats are on the bottom, and they stay together. *See note
- Cook wrap: (I used the same pan I had used to cook the peppers and onions.) In a medium nonstick pan over medium heat, heat a very thin layer of oil. Working one at a time, add wrap, seam-side down, and cook until the tortilla is golden on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip wrap and cook until the other side is golden, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Repeat with remaining wrap. Cut each in half and serve warm.