Creamy, dreamy cajun chicken pasta made in one pan will be your next favorite easy dinner. All the ingredients simmer together in one saucepan to get flavorful and delicious. Of course, one pan also means minimal clean-up too.
Any meal of chicken and pasta is a winner as far as I am concerned, but I love the added punch of cajun flavor.
I bought cajun seasoning for the first time years ago to make jambalaya. Husband is a massive fan of this rice dish with plenty of spicy andouille sausage. He first tried it on vacation, we are both pretty sure this was in a cajun-themed restaurant in Colorado Springs. I knew I had to try a version at home. The recipe has stayed on the menu rotation ever since.
Olive Oil: Used to sauté the chicken and vegetables.
Chicken Breast: I use one chicken breast. Two chicken thighs would also work.
Onion: Red, yellow, or white onions would all work. I really like red onion in a spicy recipe.
Red Bell Pepper: I like the color and flavor that red peppers add to the dish. Green bell pepper is a more traditional cajun vegetable, but I am not a fan.
Garlic: Adds more great flavor.
Cajun Seasonings: A mix of cayenne pepper, garlic, paprika, and other spices. You can make your own or buy premade.
Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne put the spicy in cajun seasoning. I add a little extra as we can handle the heat. The creaminess of the half & half mutes the spice of the cajun seasonings a bit. But if you don’t like a lot of spice, you can certainly omit the added cayenne pepper.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: I always use low sodium chicken stock to help control the amount of salt.
Half and Half: Makes the pasta rich and creamy.
Salt & Black Pepper: Add to taste. I like a generous sprinkle of black pepper. Keep in mind that store-bought cajun seasonings will most likely contain salt.
Linguine Pasta: The linguine absorbs all the wonderful flavors as it cooks. Both white and whole wheat pasta work fine.
Parmesan Cheese: Thickens the sauce and adds great cheesy flavor.
Grab a large stainless steel saucepan with a lid. Heat up the pan and drizzle in your olive oil. Next, add your chicken, onion, and peppers. Sprinkle half the cajun seasonings over your chicken and veggies. By using half the seasoning now, you assure your chicken will be well flavored.
Once the chicken is nearly done, add the garlic. Add the chicken stock, half & half, and the rest of the seasonings. Give the mixture a stir and add the pasta. Breaking the pasta in half helps the linguine fit in the pan and start to cook in the liquid right away.
Put the lid on your pan and heat the mixture to boiling. Keep the pot covered loosely and simmer until the pasta is done. This takes about 12 minutes. Stir the mixture a few times while it cooks to keep strands of pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Once the pasta is done and only minimal liquid remains in the pan, grate in the parmesan cheese.
Stir in the parmesan cheese and serve immediately. I like to serve with a green veggie like roasted broccoli.
Quick, easy, and made in one pan, cajun chicken pasta is a satisfying dinner everyone will enjoy.
One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite size chunks
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ¾ cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning divided
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup half & half
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 oz. dry linguine pasta broken in half
- ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, and bell pepper and season with ½ tsp cajun seasoning. Sauté until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, half & half, ½ tsp cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper to the pan. Break the pasta in half and add to the pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook, loosely covered, for 10-12 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until pasta is done to your liking and there is only about ¼ inch of liquid along the bottom.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and stir. Serve immediately.