Creamy cilantro lime chicken is an easy and comforting meal that is quick enough for a weekday. Chicken is quickly pan-fried and then covered with a delicious, creamy sauce. The flavors of cilantro and lime are light and bright and perfect for a summer dinner.
This recipe pairs perfectly with Mexican rice. I like to plate the rice, then the chicken, and finally pour the sauce over the chicken and part of the rice.
Chicken Breast: One chicken breast is split in half to create two, thin chicken pieces that sauté quickly.
Canola Oil: Used to sauté the chicken, onion, and garlic.
Onion: The onions are sautéed for great flavor and texture in the sauce. I like red onions for this recipe, but use whatever you have on hand.
Garlic: Adds excellent flavor.
Chicken Stock: I always use low sodium stock.
Lime Juice: A fresh lime is always preferred, but bottled juice definitely works.
Fresh Cilantro: We have fresh cilantro in the refrigerator at all times. Years ago, I bought a spice savor on a whim off Amazon, and it really extends the freshness of the cilantro. Although you can certainly use the spice savor with various herbs, ours is always full of cilantro. We grow a bunch of other herbs, but fresh cilantro from the store is so inexpensive that it makes sense just to buy it.
Red Pepper Flakes: Adds a little spice and heat. I add liberally as we love spicy flavor.
Salt & Pepper: Added to taste to season the chicken and the sauce.
Sour Cream: Adds the creamy texture and rich flavor to the sauce.
Start by splitting the chicken breast into two equal sizes. Season with salt and pepper, then sauté in a large, heavy skillet. I like to use my stainless steel skillet for this recipe. The chicken gets a nice sear using stainless steel, and the skillet can take the heat when it’s time to cook the sauce. Some non-stick pans can lose their coating if they are used on high heat.
Once the chicken is done, sauté the onions and garlic. Add the ingredients for a sauce and heat to a gentle boil. Stir occasionally. The sauce will reduce and thicken slightly.
After 10 minutes, add the sour cream and tuck the chicken back into the sauce. Serve with extra cilantro sprinkled over the top.
Creamy cilantro lime chicken is delicious with Mexican rice and a simple side vegetable like roasted broccoli. Enjoy!
Creamy Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast split
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp lime juice about one fresh lime
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes, turning once or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet and cover with foil on a separate plate, set aside.
- Add onions to the skillet and sauté for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add chicken stock, lime juice, cilantro, red peppers flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gentle boil for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by ¼ cup.
- Stir in the sour cream during the last few minutes. Return chicken to the sauce.
- Garnish with more cilantro and serve immediately.