Small frosted chocolate zucchini cake is any chocolate lover’s dream.
I am a definite chocolate lover. There was a time when a dessert that didn’t contain chocolate wasn’t worth my time, and certainly not the calories. I have since come to embrace many kinds of dessert. But when I want pure indulgence, I want chocolate.
As anyone who had baked using zucchini knows, it doesn’t make your cake, muffins, or bread taste like vegetables. But it absolutely makes those baked goods incredibly moist and delicious.
Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder: The structure and leavening agents of the cake.
Cocoa Powder: The chocolate flavor in both the cake and the frosting.
Salt: Enhances the flavor.
Espresso Powder: Espresso powder wouldn’t make the cake taste like coffee, but it definitely brings out the chocolate flavor.
Sugar: Makes the cake sweet.
Buttermilk: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, simply add a splash of vinegar to milk to create buttermilk. The tangy flavor of buttermilk is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the chocolate.
Egg: Gives the cake richness and structure.
Vanilla: Adds great flavor to the cake.
Zucchini: Makes the cake soft, moist and so delicious. I never bother to peel the zucchini, but you certainly could if desired.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese makes the most incredible frosting.
Butter: Adds flavor and richness to the frosting.
Powdered Sugar: Makes the frosting fluffy and sweet
After preheating the oven, prep a small, 6-inch baking pan. The plan will be to invert the cake after baking, so you will want to very thoroughly spray or grease the pan to ease removal. To further help this process, place a piece of parchment paper in the base of the pan.
Combine the dry ingredients thoroughly until the cocoa powder is even dispensed with the rest of the ingredients.
Stir together the sugar, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla until completely smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
Shred the zucchini using a medium grater and stir the zucchini into the batter. There is no need to peel the zucchini prior to shredding.
Use a spatula to transfer the cake batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 35 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. The cake should spring back when touched.
After the cake has cooled slightly, it is time to invert onto a plate. Slide a butter knife around the edge of the cake, then place a small plate on top of the pan. Carefully invert and pull the cake pan free of the cake.
Once the cake is completed cooled, prepare the frosting. It is important for both ingredients to be at room temperature and softened. Combine the butter and cream cheese, either by hand or using a hand mixer, until smooth and free of lumps. Stir in the vanilla, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar and whip until the mixture is smooth.
Frost the cake. I like to plop the frosting on the top and use an offset spatula to spread along the top of the cake and then down the sides.
Small frosted chocolate zucchini cake is the perfect ending for a special dinner or date night. Try chocolate banana bread cake for another great dessert for two.
Small Chocolate Zucchini Cake With Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp espresso powder optional
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg room temperature
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- ¾ cup powdered sugar more if desired
- Preheat oven 350℉ and thoroughly grease or spray the inside of a 6 inch round pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper to ease removal from the pan.
- In a small bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, baking powder and espresso powder, if using, and stir until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, buttermilk, egg and vanilla until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The cake should spring back when touched.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. Once cooled, invert onto a plate and remove parchment paper. Frost cake once completely cooled.
- Whip together softened cream cheese and butter. Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and powdered sugar and whip until thoroughly mixed.