Creamy parmesan garlic Brussels sprouts are quick, easy and so very tasty.
Brussels sprouts are a newer addition to our meal rotation. They weren’t ever a favorite vegetable for either of us for many years. But I wanted to change that as I feel strongly about the importance of eating nutritious meals. I believe green veggies every day is an important aspect of healthy eating.
Broccoli and green beans are the regulars on our dinner plates, but variety is the spice of life. I credit this recipe with making Brussels sprouts another option when I plan my menus. We both love them.
Adding a creamy sauce is never a bad idea when trying new recipes. The flavor of parmesan and garlic goes perfectly with the tender sprouts. More quick, easy, healthy, one-pan sides that also happen to be delicious are a win in my world!
Olive OIl: Used to sauté the sprouts until tender.
Brussels Sprouts: Select bright green, firm sprouts that are free of yellow leaves and black spots.
Garlic: A little minced garlic adds a nice savory bite to the creamy sauce.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: Adds flavor and a nice base for the sauce.
Half & Half: Makes the sauce rich and creamy.
Cornstarch: Used to thicken the sauce.
Parmesan Cheese: Freshly grated parmesan is always best.
Salt & Pepper: Brings out the flavor.
Start by prepping your sprouts. Remove the stem and any wilted leaves and chop them in half. You want the pieces roughly the same size so the Brussels sprouts sauté at the same time.
Next, heat up a large skillet and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the sprouts and sauté, stirring occasionally. We, and by that I mean especially Hubby, like our sprouts really tender. I let my sprouts saute a good 10 minutes and cover them for a while to assure they get nice and tender.
Once the sprouts are tender to your liking, add the garlic and sauté for a minute. Remove the sprouts from the pan and set them aside.
Finally, add the sauce ingredients. Whisk the chicken stock, parmesan cheese, and cornstarch then pour the mixture into the same pan you just used for the sprouts. Simmer and stir until the sauce thickens. This only takes a few minutes thanks to the cornstarch.
Add the sprouts back to the pan and stir to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve this creamy parmesan garlic Brussels sprouts dish immediately. We enjoy alongside a host of turkey and chicken main courses.
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts halved
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup half & half
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the Brussels sprouts. Sauté until the sprouts are tender, about 7-10 minutes. I cover the pan for about half the time to assure the sprouts are tender.
- Add the garlic and sauté for one minute. Remove the Brussels sprouts and set aside.
- Whisk together the chicken stock, half & half, and cornstarch until smooth. Pour the mixture into the pan and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the Brussels sprouts back to the pan and toss to coat in the creamy sauce until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.