Sheet pan orange ginger chicken is quick, easy, healthy, and full of wonderful flavor. The sweetness of the orange blends perfectly with the bright, flavor of fresh ginger.
It’s a busy time of year, and this sort of recipe makes dinner a cinch. A complete meal on one sheet pan in under 40 minutes!
Chicken Breast: One large chicken breast is a good amount for two people.
Broccoli: One of my favorite vegetables. Broccoli is particularly delicious when roasted.
Potato: I usually use one large Russet potato. If you happen to have baby potatoes on hand, they are terrific in this recipe. Use 8-10 baby potatoes depending on their size for two people.
Salt & Pepper: Brings out all the flavors.
Orange: Using both the juice and the zest of one fresh orange adds so much flavor.
Garlic: Adds nice savory flavor to contrast the sweetness of the orange.
Fresh Ginger: Fresh ginger root adds brightness to the dish. I really like the combination of orange and ginger. Ginger root can be frozen which makes it very easy to grate.
Olive Oil: Allows the flavors to coat the ingredients.
Honey: A touch of sweetness.
Start by preheating your oven. How maddening is it to be rushing through dinner preparation, get the dish ready, and realize you forgot to start the oven? 😉
Once you assure yourself you started the oven, start prepping your ingredients. Chop the chicken breast in bite-sized pieces. Keep the size of chicken chunks fairly uniform. Add to the sheet pan along with the chopped broccoli florets.
Next, scrub the potato and poke it a few times with a paring knife. Microwave for 4-5 minutes until the potato is starting to get soft. This process allows the potato to be done at the same time as the chicken and broccoli. Once baked, the potatoes will be soft on the inside and a little crispy on the outside.
Season all the ingredients with salt and pepper, preferably freshly ground pepper.
Then make the sauce. Zest an orange and then add the juice to a bowl. Add garlic, fresh ginger, olive oil, and honey to the bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken, broccoli, and potatoes. Stir until everything is coated.
If you have extra time; you can marinate the chicken in the sauce ingredients for a couple of hours ahead of baking. Simply stir together the sauce, add the chicken pieces, and place them both in a container in the refrigerator for up to two hours. I discovered this when I wanted a make-ahead option when we had friends over for dinner. It really did enhance the flavor of the chicken.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the chicken is done, the potatoes are crisp and the broccoli is getting slightly charred around the edges.
Plate and serve immediately.
Sheet Pan Orange Ginger Chicken & Broccoli
- 1 large chicken breast * see note for marinade ahead instructions
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 large potato microwaved for 4-5 minutes
- salt and pepper
- 1 orange juice and zest
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400 ℉.
- Chop chicken breast into bite sized pieces and place then along with the broccoli on a sheet pan. After scrubbing the potato, microwave for about 4 minutes until starting to soften. Chop potatoes into small chunks and add to pan. Season the top of chicken, potato and broccoli with salt and pepper.
- Combine the sauce ingredients. Pour evenly over the chicken, potatoes, and broccoli. Use a spoon to stir the mixture together until all the ingredient are evenly coated with sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Plate and serve immediately.