Sweet and tangy cranberry cream cheese muffins are a delicious treat.
Extra cranberries after Thanksgiving? Same. I always buy that traditional red bag of fresh cranberries. Since I typically make a relatively small batch of fresh cranberry sauce, I always have leftover berries.
Last year I made some wonderful cranberry orange bread, this year it’s muffins. Despite the tartness of the cranberries, these little muffins are very sweet and luscious.
Butter: Adds richness to the muffins.
Cream Cheese: Cream cheese adds sweetness and richness to any recipe. So perfect against the tart of the cranberries.
Sugar: The sweetness of the muffin.
Eggs: Adds structure and flavor.
Vanilla Extract: Wonderful with cranberries and cream cheese.
Flour, Baking Powder, Salt: The dry ingredients give the structure of the muffin and allow them to rise.
Fresh Cranberries: Fresh cranberries add a pop of tartness to a sweet muffin. I have never used frozen cranberries. I imagine they would work fine.
Powdered Sugar: Sweetens the glaze.
Half & Half: Makes the glaze thick and rich.
Preheat the oven. As with all muffins, use the convection option if available.
Start by combining your butter and cream cheese with the sugar. It is important both the butter and cream cheese are soft to ensure they can be thoroughly mixed.
Once combined, add the eggs. The eggs should be at room temperature as well. Stir in the vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients and then add to the wet mixture. Stir slowly until just mixed.
Chop each cranberry in half and fold it into the muffin batter. Fill muffin cups with batter until nearly full. Bake until just starting to get lightly browned, and a tester comes out clean.
These muffins would be plenty terrific as is. But then we go the extra mile with a drizzle of sweet glaze.
Measure the powdered sugar into a small bowl. Add one tablespoon of half & half and stir. Slowly add a bit more and stir until the mixture forms a glaze. It should slowly drizzle off the spoon.
Using a spoon, drizzle the muffins with glaze. You will probably make a bit of a mess. Just go for it. It is well worth it!
Allow the drizzle to set a bit, then enjoy! These pretty, festive cranberry cream cheese muffins are sure to be a hit.
Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- ½ cup butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries chopped in half
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp half & half
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Use convection if available.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Fill muffin cups nearly full. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 15 minutes before applying the icing.
- To make icing, add the powdered sugar to the small bowl. Add one Tbsp of half & half to the bowl and stir. Slowly add more until the mixture is drizzle consistency. Using a spoon, drizzle the icing on the muffins.