Tender chicken and melted, gooey cheese combine to make cheesy zucchini stuffed chicken a delicious main entrée.
I know the idea of stuffed chicken sounds fancy and complicated, but I can promise this isn’t the case.
Years ago I shared this stuffed chicken recipe which involved placing a delicious mushroom and herb underneath the chicken skin. I can tell you that is one delicious recipe that should go on my menu soon!
This recipe is shredded zucchini and melted cheese rolled into the boneless, skinless chicken breast. I love zucchini, but even if you don’t you will love the cheesy goodness provided by both mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
Chicken breast: Either chicken cutlets or chicken pounded as thin as possible. Pound away and get rid of that stress! 🙂
Zucchini: Shredded and sautéed then combined with cheese; zucchini never tastes so good.
Mozzarella cheese: The perfect melty cheese.
Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated if at all possible. Adds a yummy, salty bite to both the filling and the topping of the chicken.
Panko bread crumbs: Any bread crumbs would work, but I like Panko as they are extra crispy.
Lemon juice: Combined with butter to add a nice brightness to the finished dish.
Start with the stuffing ingredients. I use a medium grater to shred the zucchini. No need to peel the zucchini unless you prefer. Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic and zucchini. Sauté until the zucchini is starting to soften. Add the mozzarella cheese and half the Parmesan, stir until cheese is melted and ingredients are combined.
Pound the chicken as thinly as possible; I use a rolling pin. Divide the zucchini and cheese mixture between the two chicken breast halves and then roll or fold depending upon the size of the chicken breast.
Put the remaining Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on a plate. Melt butter in a small, shallow bowl and add lemon juice. Dip the chicken in butter and lemon juice mixture, then dip in the cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Cheesy zucchini stuffed chicken makes a great date-night entrée with roasted asparagus and a baked potato. It’s pretty enough for a special evening but quick enough for a busy weeknight.
Enjoy this delicious chicken!
Cheesy Zucchini Stuffed Chicken
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup zucchini shredded
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken breast sliced in half pounded thin and patted dry
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp butter-melted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt and fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute. Add zucchini and sauté for another 3 minutes until starts to soften. Add one Tbsp of Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, salt and pepper. Sauté mixture for another 1-2 minutes; stirring occasionally until cheese is melted. Set mixture aside to cool.
- Lay prepared chicken on work surface.
- Spread half of zucchini-cheese mixture on each slice of chicken. Loosely roll each one and keep seam side down.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining Tbsp of Parmesan cheese in one bowl. In another bowl combine melted butter, lemon juice, and pepper.
- Dip chicken in the butter and lemon mixture, then in breadcrumb and Parmesan mixture and place seam side down in a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Bake 25 minutes. Serve immediately.