Sheet pan chicken fajitas are the perfect dinner for this busy season.
I love making Mexican-inspired food at home, but until a few years ago I never made fajitas. It was one meal I never ordered in a restaurant, as fajitas typically contain green bell peppers. I know green peppers are the classic and most common choice of bell pepper and most people love them, but I can’t stand them. Ripe peppers are just so much better.
Since I can use ripe peppers at home, I get to enjoy fajitas too. I just don’t get to enjoy the fun of that sizzling pan being brought to my restaurant table. 😉
Canola Oil: Coats the chicken and veggies while they roast to keep them moist and delicious.
Red Bell Pepper: I use red, yellow, or orange peppers, whatever color ripe bell pepper I have available.
Red Onion: You could also use white or yellow onions. I love how the onions get soft and start to caramelize a bit during the cooking process.
Chicken: One large chicken breast is perfect for two people. Chicken thighs also work great.
Chili Powder & Cumin: Adds the flavor we all know and love in Mexican food.
Garlic Powder: Garlic powder is actually preferable to fresh garlic in this recipe. Fresh garlic could easily scorch and burn on the sheet pan. Garlic powder adds great flavor and is worthy of a spot on the spice rack.
Salt & Pepper: Enhances all the great flavors.
Paprika: Adds smoky flavor and a great pop of color.
Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper adds serious heat. This could be omitted or increased depending on your spice tolerance.
Lime: A splash of lime juice adds a welcome brightness and acidity.
Flour Tortilla Shells: I use burrito-sized tortilla shells.
Tomatoes or Salsa: Either fresh tomatoes or salsa adds a great fresh flavor.
Avocado or Guacamole: We usually just use fresh, sliced avocado. Guacamole is also a fantastic accompaniment. If you have leftover avocado, just stick it in the refrigerator with lime juice.
Cheese: Cheese is rarely a bad idea. 😉
Cilantro: We love a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Preheat your oven right away, as that prep takes very little time. Slice up your chicken and veggies and spread them out on the sheet pan. I like to intersperse the ingredients, so they are equally scattered on the sheet pan, but it really doesn’t matter.
Sprinkle the spices evenly over everything, followed by the oil. Use a spatula or your clean hands to thoroughly cover all the chicken and vegetables.
While the pan is in the oven, collect and prep your accompaniments. Serve up your sheet pan chicken fajitas and enjoy!
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large chicken breast sliced into strips
- 1 tsp hot chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lime
- flour tortillas
- salsa or chopped fresh tomatoes
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 ℉.
- In a small bowl, toss all the spices together. Set aside.
- Slice peppers and onions into thin slices. Slice the chicken in long thin strips. In a single layer put the chicken and veggies in a sheet pan. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the chicken and vegetable. Pour oil over everything and mix well. Make sure there is enough oil to coat all the veggies and chicken.
- Bake about 25 minutes until the chicken is done and the vegetables are roasted. Squeeze lime over the top. Serve in warm tortilla shells and top with salsa, avocado, shredded cheese, and cilantro.