Mexican street corn salad is a great late summer side dish. Actually, it’s a great side dish any time of year. But let’s face it, fresh sweet corn makes this dish extra wonderful.
At least I think we can say it is still late summer. I know it’s after Labor Day, but sweet corn season and pumpkin spice latte season can exist together.
Give me fresh corn on the cob with a little butter, salt, and pepper, and I am happy. But add a bit of spicy pepper, creamy mayo, and salty feta and the flavors are over the top. When we buy fresh corn on the cob, we always buy at least 6 ears. We eat about half that amount right off the cob, and the rest goes in the freezer for later use; like this luscious salad.
Poblano or Jalapeño Pepper: I have made this corn salad with both pepper varieties. They add great flavor and a little spice. Poblano peppers are also great in chicken tortilla soup. Keep in mind that jalapeño peppers can really vary in spice level.
Butter: Butter is terrific on fresh corn on the cob. Used to saute the peppers.
Fresh or Frozen Corn: In a perfect world, we would always have fresh locally-grown sweet corn. But I have made it with a bag of frozen corn from the grocery store, and it’s delicious.
Mayonnaise: A touch of mayo adds creaminess and rich flavor. I always use light mayonnaise.
Feta Cheese: Salty chunks of feta cheese are perfect with the sweetness of the corn.
Lime Juice: Adds brightness and acidity.
Cilantro: Adds color and a fresh flavor.
Salt & Pepper: Brings out the flavor.
Start by sauteing the peppers. Then add the corn and allow to saute, stirring occasionally. This process intensifies the flavor of the sweet corn and makes it even more wonderful.
Stir in the mayo, feta, and lime juice. Allow the mixture to coat the corn. Stir in the cilantro, salt, and pepper.
Mexican street corn salad is a wonderful side with tacos or quesadillas. I recently served it alongside chipotle turkey meatballs.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- ¼ cup poblano or jalapeño pepper diced
- 2 tsp butter
- 1½ cups fresh corn cut off the cob or frozen corn kernels thawed
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise light mayo works fine
- 1 ounce feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pan and add diced peppers. Sauté for about 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add corn to the skillet and continue to sauté for another 5-10 minutes over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo, cheese, and lime juice. Add to the skillet with the corn and peppers. Stir until the mayo/cheese mixture coats the corn evenly. Allow the mixture to heat for a few minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately.