Chicken avocado melts are the creamy, cheesy, melty sandwich of your weekend lunch dreams!
This sandwich really has all my favorites. The base is a sauce that is both creamy and a little spicy. Tender chicken is then topped with glorious avocado. Finally, a layer of melted cheese. I would jump on this on any restaurant menu, but lucky for me, I can make it at home.
Like many of my favorite recipes, this sandwich is very customizable. I use whatever bread and cheese I have available, and it turns out great every time.
Mayonnaise: The base of the creamy sauce. I always use light mayo.
Lime: Adds freshness and brightness to the sauce.
Red Onion: A bit of crunch and fresh taste in the sauce.
Black Pepper: Adds a nice bite to the sauce.
Hot Sauce: Use your favorite hot sauce. We love sriracha.
Bread: We use either a slice of bread or buns. I like whole-grain bread, and Husband typically uses a leftover hamburger bun for his portion.
Chicken: This is a terrific use for leftover chicken from another recipe. I have also baked a chicken breast specifically to use for the recipe.
Avocado: We use half a large avocado for sandwiches for two people. Luckily, you can easily save your leftover avocado for later use!
Shredded Cheese: I have used Mexican cheese, pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, use any shredded cheese you like.
Preheat your oven.
Start by toasting your bread, if desired. I like to toast my sliced bread to help it hold up to the sauce and prevent it from getting soggy.
Next, combine your ingredients for the sauce. Spread the sauce evenly over the entire surface of the bread.
Add sliced chicken over the sauce, followed by the avocado. Sprinkle the whole sandwich with shredded cheese.
Bake until the cheese is melted.
Chicken avocado melts make a delicious lunch along with a side of coleslaw or oven fries!
Chicken Avocado Melts
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 small lime zest and juice
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 2 slices of bread or hamburger bun lightly toasted if desired
- ¾ cup cooked chicken
- ½ avocado sliced
- shredded cheese of your choice
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, red onion, pepper and hot sauce. Spread mixture evenly on sliced toasted bread.
- Cover bread slices with chicken pieces. Place 4-5 avocado slices on top of chicken. Cover the avocado slices with shredded cheese.
- Place open-faced sandwiches in the oven at 400 ℉ until the cheese melted; about 5-7 minutes.