A fresh, bright, and slightly spicy marinade gives tequila lime grilled chicken such great flavor.
We love grilled chicken during the summer. The charcoal adds beautiful color and the smell of the chicken grilling is absolutely mouthwatering. An added bonus is keeping the heat outside instead of in the kitchen during the hot summer weather.
The actual grilling is Husband’s domain, which is another I like about these meals. I marinate the chicken and make some sides, and he does his magic outside. It’s a good system. 🙂
Fresh Lime Juice: Citrus flavors are so good with chicken. The lime juice will tenderize the meat and infuse delicious flavor.
Tequila: Together with the lime juice, the tequila works to tenderize the chicken and adds a smoky element. I really like this brand.
Olive Oil: The oil brings the flavors together and will help keep the chicken moist.
Cumin & Chili Powder: Classic Mexican spices which go very well with tequila and lime.
Garlic: Gives great savory flavor.
Cilantro: Some people love it and some people hate it. We love it! Certainly could be omitted if you are averse.
Serrano or Jalapeño Pepper: Both will add spice. Leave out the membranes inside if you don’t want the marinade too spicy.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: We typically use one large chicken breast. Chicken thighs would also be great.
Combine the marinade ingredients. I like my immersion blender to completely combine all the ingredients.
You could also use a standard blender or food processor to thoroughly blend the ingredients.
As you can see, it isn’t exactly the most beautiful marinade. But trust me, it does beautiful things to the chicken!
Place the chicken in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken to thoroughly coat the meat.
The chicken should be marinated for about 2 hours prior to grilling. Marinating chicken in an acid, such as citrus, can turn the chicken mushy if marinated for too long.
When you are ready to grill, pull the chicken from the marinade and reserve the mixture. We (By we, I mean Hubby.) like to pour some marinade over the chicken during the grilled process for maximum flavor.
The chicken should sit for a few minutes after pulling off the grill to allow the juices to reabsorb.
Tequila lime grilled chicken is excellent with a host of any number of side dishes. Recently, we enjoyed it with a simple baked potato and sautéed vegetables. Southwestern potato salad or coleslaw would also be excellent choices.
Tequila Lime Chicken
- juice of two fresh limes
- ¼ cup tequila
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 Serrano or Jalapeño pepper (or any spicy pepper) stem removed and roughly chopped
- 1 whole boneless skinless chicken breast sliced in half lengthwise
- Combine all ingredients except chicken. Use an emersion blender to pulse ingredients until smooth. Alternatively, use a blender or a food processor.
- Pour marinade into a shallow dish and place chicken in the dish to marinate for 2 hours. Flip the chicken breasts halves once about halfway through the marinade time.
- When ready to grill, remove the chicken from the marinade, but reserve the marinade. Pour marinade over chicken while grilling to intensify flavor.