Tender bites of chicken, flavorful herbs, sautéed mushrooms, and parmesan combine with orzo pasta to make parmesan herb chicken and mushroom with orzo an easy, one-skillet meal.
I am a bonafide pasta lover but new to orzo until recently. It is absolutely the perfect pasta for busy, weeknight dinners. It’s tiny so it cooks quickly and absorbs all the great flavors of the other ingredients.
Chicken breasts: Thighs also work great. The chicken is cut into bite sized pieces and sautéed in olive oil.
Mushrooms: I usually use Portobello mushrooms, they are flavorful, widely available, and last longer in the refrigerator than standard white mushrooms.
Onion & Garlic: What is a pasta dish without onions and garlic? I don’t want to find out.
Orzo: Cute, tiny pasta shaped like long grain rice. The orzo cooks in the stock and absorbs the flavors of the dish.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: The orzo absorbs the stock while cooking for great savory flavor.
Parsley, Thyme, and Rosemary: These three herbs are perfect with chicken and mushrooms. They add wonderful fresh flavor. Use fresh if available; if you have dried herbs use half the amount.
Parmesan cheese: Use fresh grated if at all possible. The parmesan melts to add a cheesy element.
First, you will sauté your chicken in a large skillet. I like using a nonstick skillet for this recipe. Once the chicken is cooked through remove it from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
Next, the onions and mushrooms take their turn in the skillet. Once they start to soften add the garlic and orzo. Stir and mix the orzo into the vegetables. Add chicken stock, stir and bring to a boil.
Turn the skillet down to medium low and cover. The orzo will cook in the chicken stock. Stir occasionally.
Once the liquid is absorbed and the orzo is cooked add the chicken back to the skillet. Stir in the herbs and parmesan cheese.
Serve immediately with a simple side of green veggies for a complete meal. Roasted asparagus is an excellent choice.
Next time you have have pasta craving, try parmesan herb chicken and mushroom with orzo!
Parmesan Herb Chicken & Mushrooms with Orzo
- 1 Tbsp olive oil divided
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 ounces mushrooms thinly sliced
- ¼ cup onion minced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup orzo
- 1¾ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 tsp parsley chopped
- 1 tsp thyme chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese finely shredded
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large non-stick medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the chicken. Sauté until the chicken is cooked. Pull the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet then add in the onion and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onion and mushrooms start to soften.
- Add in the orzo and garlic and sauté for about a minute. Pour in the chicken stock, stir everything together and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for approximately 9 minutes or until the orzo is al dente. Remove the lid and if there is any excess liquid remaining continue to cook uncovered for another minute.
- Add the cooked chicken back into the skillet and stir in the chopped herbs and Parmesan cheese until everything is combined. If you are using dried herbs, use half the amount. If desired garnish with more Parmesan cheese and herbs. Serve immediately.