Spicy peppers combine with cheesy goodness to make Jalapeno cheddar chicken irresistible.
This is basically all the flavor we love in Jalapeno poppers melted over a chicken breast. All the flavor and none of the work! Plus eliminated the breading and deep-fat frying makes this version just a little bit healthier.
Chicken breast: Take one medium to large boneless, skinless chicken breast and slice in half horizontally.
Jalapeno peppers: Adds great spicy flavor. You can control the spice by removing some or all of the membranes inside the pepper. The majority of the capsaicin is found in the membranes.
Cream cheese: Creates the base of the pepper and cheese topping and adds a creamy texture to balance out the spicy flavor.
Green onions: Add more flavor and color. You could also use red, white or yellow onion.
Cheddar cheese: Add richness and creaminess to the topping. Use mild or sharp cheddar, whatever you prefer.
Start by slicing your chicken breast into two, equal-sized thin pieces. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Sauté in a skillet until both sides of lightly brown, about five minutes.
If you have an oven-safe skillet, such as cast iron or stainless steel you can simply place in the oven once the chicken is browned to your liking. Otherwise, transfer the chicken to a baking dish and place the dish in the oven.
While the chicken is baking, mix up the pepper and cheese topping.
After about 20 minutes, pull the chicken from the oven and carefully top the chicken with the topping. Take care not to burn yourself on the pan.
Return the chicken to the oven and continue baking until the topping is hot and melted. The topping might fall off the chicken and get brown and crunchy on the bottom of the pan. But crunchy, browned cheese is definitely not a bad thing!
Jalapeno cheddar chicken is a quick, easy dinner that is ready in about 30 minutes. This easy dish is excellent served with Mexican roasted vegetables, a side of Mexican rice, or a baked potato.
Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup jalapeño pepper finely chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1-2 green onions chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425℉
- Halve the chicken breast into two equal sized thin pieces.
- Season both sides of each chicken piece with salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add chicken and fry for a few minutes on each side until starting to brown.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and juices run clear. If you do not have an oven-safe skillet transfer the chicken to a baking dish and place the dish in the oven.
- Meanwhile, mix together the jalapeño pepper, cream cheese, green onions, and cheddar cheese.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and spread the cream cheese jalapeño mixture over the chicken. Return to oven and cook 5-10 minutes or until cheese is creamy and melted.