Vegetable fried rice takes plain rice and makes it worthy of being the main event. I love serving alongside our favorite Asian-inspired main entrées.
We eat a lot of rice; easily twice a week. I love stir-fry for work nights; it is healthy, quick, and easy. While we often just have a side of plain, white rice I do like kicking things up a notch on occasion. For main entrées like orange chicken or Teriyaki chicken, making this fried rice introduces some vegetables into the meal.
Canola oil: A neutral oil with a high smoke point is best for stir-fry. Vegetable oil and peanut oil are also good choices.
Vegetables: I always use onions and red bell pepper; broccoli, cauliflower, and garlic are also great choices. Peas are delicious too.
Rice: Cooked or steamed in advance; you can use either white or brown rice.
Soy Sauce: I typically use low sodium soy sauce.
Egg: Those bites of scrambled egg scattered through the fried rice add great flavor.
Sesame oil: I bought my first bottle of sesame oil years ago after seeing it highly recommended in Asian-inspired recipes. It really does add a great, authentic flavor.
Start by preheating a wok or large frying pan. Have all your ingredients prepped and in reach as the dish comes together quickly.
Sauté your vegetables until crisp-tender, then stir in the rice to combine and heat up the rice. Push ingredients to one side of the pan and crack in the egg. Let the egg slightly set then stir the egg into the vegetable and rice mixture.
Add soy sauce and sesame oil and stir. Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper for taste. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
We enjoyed vegetable fried rice with roasted broccoli and Baked General Tso chicken for this particular dinner.
If you enjoy fried rice at your favorite Chinese restaurant, try it at home. So easy and it will be fresh and delicious!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1-2 cups chopped vegetables such as onions, peppers and broccoli
- 1 package frozen cauliflower rice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 egg
- dash of sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- Heat pan over medium heat and add canola oil.
- Add chopped vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender.
- Microwave flozen cauliflower rice based on package instructions.
- Add rice and stir until rice is thoroughly combined with the vegetables. Move rice and vegetable mixture to the side and crack the egg into the pan.
- Wait until egg are lightly set and then mix everything together.
- Add soy sauce and mix. Add a dash of sesame oil and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh green onions.