Oatmeal banana muffins are soft, sweet, and full of flavor. Packed with ripe bananas for natural sweetness; they contain less sugar than most muffin recipes. They are perfect for a quick, easy snack.
These muffins are healthy enough to be breakfast, but tasty enough for a treat.
Over-ripe bananas: Those dark, spotty bananas a bit past prime eating ripeness are perfect for baking. If you have over-ripe bananas and no time to bake you can stick them in the freezer. You can peel and slice your bananas prior to putting them in the freezer, but I typically just toss them in whole.
Pull the bananas out of the freezer when you are ready to bake and let them thaw. They will be brown and, frankly, a little ugly! But added to baked goods they are delicious!
Oatmeal: Healthy and hardy, oatmeal also adds structure to your muffins to help create the all-important dome. Got to have the muffin top!
Sugar: Only a half cup of sugar, yet the muffins are perfectly sweet thanks to the bananas.
Cinnamon & nutmeg: Give warmth and aroma to the muffins. Extra cinnamon sugar on top gives a little crunch and makes them extra pretty.
Start by combining the dry ingredients; then add egg, oil, and vanilla. Put bananas in a bowl and mash them with a fork. The bananas do not need to be perfectly smooth but mash until only small lumps remain. Stir bananas into the rest of the ingredients until just mixed.
Divide batter into the 12 muffin tins or silicon cups using a large cookie scoop. The cups will be nearly full.
Sprinkle evenly with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Bake until muffins are browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
If you love these oatmeal banana muffins you may also love these Oatmeal raisin cookie muffins!
Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 whole ripe bananas mashed
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375℉
- In a large bowl combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a smaller bowl beat egg throughly, then add oil and vanilla. Add mixture to wet ingredients. The dry ingredient may not become completely incorporated with the wet ingredients at this point.
- În a small bowl mash the bananas. Add the bananas to the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop divide muffin batter into muffin tins or silicon cups; filling until nearly full.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over muffins
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.