Chicken and broccoli combine with eggs and cheese in a tender, flaky crust. Chicken and broccoli quiche is a complete one-dish meal. Quiche sounds fussy and fancy, but it really isn’t difficult.
Quiche tends to come to mind for brunch, but it makes an excellent meal any time of day. I love that it is so versatile. You can add your favorite veggies and cheese and make it your own.
Pie dough: You can absolutely use a store-bought crust. I love this easy homemade pie crust. The recipe is my go-to for sweet pies and works well for savory recipes as well.
Eggs: Four large eggs provide the base and structure for the quiche.
Milk or Half & Half: I like a combination of milk and half & half.
Chicken: I typically use chicken breast, chicken thighs would also work very well.
Cheese: Swiss is often used in quiche. Mozzarella is also excellent. You could also use a mixture.
Broccoli: Broccoli is wonderful in quiche as goes beautifully with eggs.
Vegetables: One more cup of mixed vegetables along with the broccoli. I like red bell pepper and red onion.
Thyme & Rosemary: Great fresh flavor that perfectly compliment with chicken.
Start by putting your pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Take care to ensure the crust is pressed along the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Using a fork, poke holes all over the bottom and sides of the crust. This will help ensure the crust doesn’t bubble up when baked.
Place the pie plate on a sheet pan and bake the crust for 15 minutes. This is known as par-baking or blind baking and helps assure the crust doesn’t get soggy. We can’t have a soggy bottom! 😉
While the crust is baking, sauté the chicken and vegetables in a large skillet.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add the cheese and the herbs. Add the chicken and vegetable and mix thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into the par-baked crust. Cover the edges with foil to prevent the crust from getting too brown.
Bake the quiche on a sheet pan for 45-60 minutes. Check after 45 minutes. When the quiche is done it will be puffed up and golden. A knife inserted will come back clean.
Let the quiche rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Chicken and broccoli quiche serves 4-6 people. Leftovers reheat very well and make a great breakfast or lunch the next day.
Chicken and Broccoli Quiche
- Dough for 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup milk or half & half or combination
- 2 cups chicken chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ⅓ cup shredded Swiss or Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (celery, onions, peppers) chopped
- salt & black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Transfer it to a 9-inch glass pie dish and press it firmly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Then fold/crimp the overhanging dough. Prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust all over with a fork.
- Transfer the pie dish to a sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, sauté chicken along with the broccoli and the rest of the vegetables until the chicken is cooked and vegetables are somewhat tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then add the milk mixture and the herbs. Add the chicken and vegetable mixture and pour into the par-baked pie crust.
- Place quiche on a sheet pan. Cover the edges of the exposed crust with foil to prevent browning too much. Bake until the eggs are set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Check after 45 minutes, the quiche will take 45-60 minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes before slicing.