Stir-fry chicken & broccoli is one of my all-time favorites. For years it was my go-to order at local Chinese restaurants and is now one of my favorite meals at home.
This recipe is quick, easy, and healthy. The chicken, broccoli, and peppers are quickly sauteed and then covered with a simple, but ultra flavorful sauce.
Canola Oil: Canola has a high smoke point, which makes it a good choice for stir fry recipes.
Chicken Breast: Sliced chicken breasts or thighs both work great in this recipe.
Fresh Broccoli: Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies. It becomes wonderfully crisp-tender when stir-fried along with the chicken. I read this article recently and learned broccoli isn’t available in Asia and is not found in their cuisine.
Ripe Bell Pepper: Red, yellow, or orange bell pepper adds wonderful color and flavor contrast. They can certainly be omitted if you are pepper-adverse.
Garlic: Adds a great bite of flavor.
Green Onions: Sprinkled across the top for a nice contrast of color and texture.
Hoisin Sauce: One of my absolute favorite ingredients in Asian-inspired cuisine. Adds great savory flavor.
Low Sodium Soy Sauce: Soy sauce is a staple in stir-fry recipes. I like to use low sodium.
Low Sodium Chicken Stock: Adds liquid and flavor to the sauce.
Cornstarch: Added to thicken the sauce.
Rice Vinegar: Adds tang to the sauce.
Hot Sauce: I love some sriracha in all my stir-fry recipes. But it’s definitely optional. I find chicken and broccoli stir-fry to be just as scrumptious when it isn’t spicy.
Sesame Oil: Adds richness and authentic flavor.
Fresh Ginger: Ginger adds a nice touch of brightness to the sauce.
First, start cooking your rice since this recipe is done in about 30 minutes.
Start by slicing your chicken and prepping the broccoli and peppers. Heat up your canola oil in a large skillet or wok. I have a stainless steel skillet with a heavy base that works well for stir fry recipes.
Add your chicken and veggies to the skillet and stir fry on medium to high heat, stirring frequently. The chicken should be fairly thinly sliced and shouldn’t take long to cook through. If you like your veggies more tender, you may want to fry them for a few extra minutes before adding the chicken.
While your chicken and veggies are cooking, mix up the sauce ingredients.
When the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender to your liking, add the garlic. Pour in the sauce. Stir constantly while the sauce thickens.
Serve immediately with rice. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Stir-Fry Chicken And Broccoli
Chicken & Vegetables
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 3 cups fresh small broccoli florets
- 1½ cups ripe bell pepper sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chopped green onions
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp low sodium chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp hot sauce if desired
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- In a large, deep skillet or wok, heat oil over medium to high heat.
- Add sliced chicken, broccoli, and peppers. Sauté, stirring frequently until the chicken is cooked through and the broccoli is crisp-tender. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- While the chicken and vegetables are pan-frying, add all the sauce ingredients to a bowl or measuring cup. Stir to completely combine.
- When the chicken and veggies are done, give the sauce mixture one more quick stir and pour into skillet. Stir to coat mixture with sauce. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.
- Serve over with rice and sprinkle with chopped green onions.